October began with World Smile Day® (which we covered in World Smile Day®: A Quick Overview). The entire month was also devoted to increasing awareness about breast cancer since it was National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Plus, it was National Dental Hygiene Month.
November is shaping up to be a pretty awareness-filled month too though, since it is Mouth Cancer Action Month.
Not familiar with this event? Don’t worry, as always, we will do our best to bring you up to speed!
- Who: This event is put on by the British Dental Health Foundation with help from several partners and sponsors.
- What: Mouth Cancer Action Month is a charity campaign which aims to raise awareness of mouth cancer and make a difference by saving thousands of lives through early detection and prevention.
- When: From November 1st through November 30th. Quick note: On November 18th, you might want to wear something blue in honor of “Blue Wednesday”.
- Where: Okay, this event is technically put on by the British Dental Health Foundation, but we can’t see any reason why we can’t voice our support and aim to increase awareness about mouth cancer on this side of the pond too.
- Why: Throughout November [this campaign] will be aiming to get more mouth cancers diagnosed at an early stage by increasing education of the risk factors and signs and symptoms while encouraging everybody to discuss them with their dental professional.
Now that you know the basics, you might be be considering doing something to show your support. Good! It is a little tricky to plan a fundraising event for Mouth Cancer Action Month since this is primarily a UK-based event, but you can still donate and show your support for this event via social media by taking a #bluelipselfie or by sharing some downloadable infographics, social media banners and materials.
Now go forth & spread the word!