Note: If you are reading this after this year’s #GivingTuesday has come and gone, don’t worry. You can do good deeds all year round! Plus, you can subscribe to this (e)mailing list in order to be kept in-the-loop with all #GivingTuesday-related going-ons.
Believe it or not, December 1st is National Eat A Red Apple Day. If you are following us on Twitter—which you really should be if you aren’t already—you know that we are always happy to celebrate interesting, quirky and off-beat holidays.
As excited as we are about National Eat A Red Apple Day though, we are even more pumped for #GivingTuesday. Created by 92nd Street Y, #GivingTuesday is now in its fourth year.
Put simply, #GivingTuesday, is a global day dedicated to giving back. On Tuesday, December 1, 2015, charities, families, businesses, community centers and students around the world will come together for one common purpose: to celebrate generosity and to give.
Great idea, right? Now, since you are (hopefully!) feeling a little inspired, here are a few giving-back ideas to use as a jumping off point:
- Utilize the #GivingTuesday Toolkit to spread the word about this event throughout the social media sphere.
- Make a monetary contribution to a local nonprofit/charity.
- Find a canned food drive in your area and drop off some non-perishable canned food.
- Donate gently-used, clean clothing items to an organization for homeless individuals.
- Locate the closest #GivingTuesday chapter and contact them to see how you can help.
You can also peruse posts on social media channels by searching for “#GivingTuesday” in order to see what other people are doing to give back.
Happy (almost) #GivingTuesday!